5 Great Tips to Effective Letter Writing
Many people might surprise the need for letter writing in a world dominated by emails. If you wish to streamline your communication, never ignore the strength of a well constructed letter. An email cannot unprotected to the impact that a well written letter can generate. Whether it is business, sales, cover or personal letter, you can master it by learning some simple tips.
1. The content of a letter should be planned well. To streamline your communication, make a draft of your letter. This will help in communicating effectively. Make sure that all the points have been detailed and check your letter for readability. Rephrase those sentences that can be misunderstood. Check the spelling, especially, the name of the receiver. Another meaningful aspect is the consistency in the spelling of names. To be on the safer side, it is always wise to prepare a draft of business, sales and cover letters.
2. Use of language. For business letters, always use formal language. Sales letters need to attract possible customers. So they can be informal with catchy headlines. But when the sales letter talks about guarantee, delivery and other chief issues, use a formal tone. Cover letters should always be written in formal language. Maximum flexibility with language can be shown in a personal letter. Depending upon your relationship, you can choose a formal or informal language. To streamline your communication, you should learn the art of selecting the appropriate tone for your letter.
3. Your letter might be intended for several people. This does not average that it should not have a personal touch. Always write a business or sales letter like writing to a single person. A personal touch in your sales letter or newsletter will make the reader feel more comfortable. The reader should never feel like reading a brochure. The letter should have the effect of a personal conversation.
4. One of the best methods to streamline your communication is to make effective use of all modern day writing techniques. Use headlines to indicate the subject matter. Make use of bullets to detail important points. Use simple language. If a scientific term is used explain it in parentheses. You can make use of italics, bolding and underling in the letter. You can also create a template for your letter.
5. Brevity. Today, people do not have time to use on reading long letters. Make your point in least number of words. Never deviate from the chief subject. Unnecessary deviations from the subject can do more harm than good. Sometimes the reader might totally ignore the letter.
Letters are an important tool of communication. Remember, they can also become documental evidences. Your success in the modern day world depends on how effectively you are able to streamline your communication.