NRI Home Loan Maximum Amount
The normal rule is that edges and housing finance companies easily provide NRI home loans up-to 85% of the cost of the residential character. However, the upper limit of the loan amount sanctioned and the down payment will depend on various factors and can also vary from lender to lender.
For example if you take a NRI housing loan for buy, construction, extension or renovation of a new house or flat from ICICI Bank, it will happily finance 85% of the total cost of the character. However, if you take a NRI home loan for buy of a plot of land for residential use, the maximum amount of home loan financed will be 75% of the total cost of the character.
Again there are special schemes offered by edges, which break all the rules, like the one from Citibank, which provides a NRI home loan up to 89% of the character value if the loan value is less than or equal to Rs. 50 lakhs.
Here is a roundup of the maximum and minimum loan amounts offered by various edges for their NRI home loans:
Minimum loan amount
- SBI offers a NRI Home Loan for a minimum of Rs. 3 lakhs
- ICICI Bank gives a NRI home loan for a minimum of Rs 5 lakh.
- ICICI bank offers a minimum of Rs. 10 Lakh for loan against character
- Citibank offers a NRI home loan for a minimum of Rs. 2.1 lakhs
Maximum loan amount
- SBI offers a NRI housing loan for a maximum of 60 times NMI ( Net Monthly Income) or 5 times NAI (Net Annual Income) for applicants below 45 years of age and 48 times NMI or 4 times NAI for applicants above 45 years of age
- SBI special maximum loan amount terms:
- Maximum loan amount for repairs and renovation: Rs.10 lacs
- Maximum loan amount for buy of plot for construction of house : Rs.20 lacs
- Aggregate repayment obligations should not go beyond 50% of NMI or NAI
- ICICI Bank gives a NRI home loan for a maximum amount of Rs. 1 crore.
- Citibank provides a NRI home loan for a maximum of Rs. 5 crore. This amount is obtainable for a loan of 15 years tenure. The maximum amount for 20 year NRI home loan from Citibank is Rs. 1 crore.
As per a circular issued by the RBI on 31st January, 2007, if the loan is against the NRI’s NRE and FCNR accounts, the maximum loan amount cannot go beyond Rs. 20 lakhs.